There are only 35 high end Schuler servo stamping presses in auto manufacturing worldwide and the one at Tesla is the first one in the US. The equipment has allowed Tesla to form unique parts, like the Model 3 front fender, which engineers say has greater depth in a single piece of stamped steel than any other fender in production. Tesla chose to build a factory to handle all of its seat production, making it unique in an industry where its competitors all outsource seats.
This is a good article highlighting manufacturing of the Model 3.
- Mazda Uses 1300 MPa (190 ksi) Cold Stamped Steel February 11, 2019
- SpaceX Starship/BFR Rocket Materials February 4, 2019
- Thinner is not always better January 24, 2019
- 20,000 to be hired by 2023 at POSCO as part of US$40 billion investment January 18, 2019
- Servo Press Technology Articles at Metalforming Magazine January 14, 2019
- 4M and EQS: 4Q 2018 Sheet Metal Industry News January 10, 2019
- Total Elongation in a Tensile Test May Not Be The Best Formability Indicator for AHSS January 3, 2019
- Made it to the “Top 5 in 365” list at TheFabricator.com! December 18, 2018
- Industry 4.0: Sensors Come to Sheet Metal Forming December 13, 2018
Tweets by @DannyEQSMy Tweets